Meeting started at 7:00 pm with President Debbie Haluch introducing presenter Susie Marten.
Attendees: Beverly and Larry Allen, Bonnie Buhl, Norma Chiaramonte, Debbie Haluch, Ellen and Mark Jones, David and Marcia Mausolf, Ian and Nicole McWilliam, Cathy Oland, Louise Rugaard (New Member), Ann Sansbury, Dale Smothers
Speaker: Susie Marten, Native Plant Outreach Specialist for the Katy Prairie Conservancy spoke about prairie conservation and planting native plants for pollinators.
Refreshments: Refreshments were provided by Debbie Haluch and Dale Smothers.
Minutes – May 13, 2019 Meeting Minutes – a motion was made and seconded to dispense with reading of the minutes.
Treasurer’s Report - Treasurer Report was given by Secretary/Treasurer, Ann Sansbury and approved by all
Yard of the Season – Phase 3 Winner – Joseph Kazmir, No winner was chosen for
· Bricks – 10 new bricks are here, 9 for Phase 1 and 1 for Phase 3.
· Sign-up sheet for refreshments and door prizes was passed around.
· Two changes to the current By Laws were proposed and accepted:
1. The maximum amount paid to speakers is increased to $50.00. Motion was made to accept this change by Ellen Jones and seconded by Bonnie Buhl and passed unanimously.
2. Committees and respective duties will be added. Committees will be Signs, Yard of the Season, Communication, Tours, Social/Outreach, Jr. Garden Event, Fundraiser, Membership and Garden Angel. Motion was made to accept this change was made by Marcia Mausolf and seconded by Beverly Allen and passed unanimously.
· Committee Chairmen for 2019-2020 are:
Signs – Larry Allen & Ian McWilliam
Yard of the Season – Ann Sansbury & Norma Chiaramonte
Communication – Ann Sansbury & Debbie Haluch
Tours – Marcia Mausolf
Social/Outreach – Norma Chiaramonte
Jr. Garden Event – Liz Hearn & Lyn McWilliam
Fundraiser – Mike Owen
Membership – Open
Garden Angel – Open
· Federation Meeting will be Friday, September 13 at 10:00 a.m. Debbie and Ann will be going if anyone else would like to join them.
· Houston Garden Club will hold their annual Bulb and Plant Mart 2019 on October 3-4 at Church of St. John the Divine in River Oaks. Website is http://www.gchouston.org
· Everyone is encouraged to get their yards butterfly certified. Two websites for certification are https://nababutterfly.com/butterfly-garden-certification-program and https://www.monarchwatch.org/waystations. We are looking into using one website for each garden.
Book Suggestion: A good book recommended for anyone who makes compost for use in a landscaping project is Teaming with Microbes.
Gardening Tips of the Month:
· Later in September is the time to apply lawn fertilizer to keep the grass healthy growing right up to first frost. Fall fertilized lawns are better equipped to make it through the winter and resume growth next spring than lawns that receive no fertilizer.
· Got a problem with vegetation: Take pictures and email Skip Richter at email@example.com.
Meeting concluded at 9:00 pm