Thank you, Kara and Mike Roberts,! Dinner and Creating a Butterfly Habitat
Door Prize: Dave and Marsha Mausolf
Club Members and guests include: Beverly and Larry Allen, Bonnie Buhl, Norma and Ed Chiaramonte, Joe and Wendy D’Virgilio and friend Giuseppe, Sandra and Kenneth Gilbert, Debbie Haluch, Liz Hearn, Norma Islam, Ellen and Mark Jones, Dave and Marcia Mausolf, Ellie and Dennis O’Connor, Cathy Oland, Mike Owens, Kara and Mike Roberts, Ann and Ken Sansbury, Dale Smothers
▪ A motion was made by Norma and seconded by Marsha to dispense of reading of the March 11 Meeting Minutes
▪ Secretary/Treasurer, Bonnie Buhl presented her Financial Report which was approved by all. In addition, she advised that she was able to attain the documents that provides the Tax Exemption number for the CCL Garden Club
▪ Updates on the Butterfly Gardens were discussed:
Monument stone has been installed at the Brazos Sage garden. Initial planting will take place in the next few weeks. Earthcare Management has generously donated the labor and materials. Special thanks to Brooke Marrs of Earthcare Management for their generous contribution. Also, the support of Kelly Doyle, POA President Phase 3, was very instrumental in designating and approving a location for the garden. She also encouraged Earthcare Management to fully support the installation of the garden.
Spring Planting Butterfly Garden I was scheduled for April 13 at 8am. The weather cooperated and the planting took place as scheduled. Participants included Larry Allen, Joe D’Virgilio, Ellen and Mark Jones, Cathy Oland, and Mike Owens. Special thanks to Kyle Franklin and the IMS crew for their continued and generous support. In addition to providing an excellent and varied selection of butterfly attracting plants, they refreshed the bed with a sand and small gravel mix to aid draining.
▪ Junior Gardening Event will take place on Saturday May 4 – Liz Hearn advised that all is in order. Cathy Bortz provided copies of the flyer for the event. Liz will distribute them at the CCL Spring Festival. Members were asked to distribute them to friends and neighbors. Ann will continue to promote awareness on CCL GC Facebook with dynamic posts.
▪ Yard of the Month – Now: Yard of the Season (Spring, Summer and Fall)
Larry Allen presented the 3 new Yard of the Season signs
Kara Roberts will select volunteers and judge late April.
President, Ellen Jones, presented a proposed amendment to the By Laws (see below). It was unanimously approved.
Amended By-Laws Article XI – Garden Club Beautification Committee
▪ Current: The Cypress Creek Lakes Garden Club will select 1 house in Section 1 and 2 and 1 house in Section 3 for Yard of the Month
▪ Amended: The Cypress Creek Lakes Garden Club will select 1 house in each of
Phases 1, 2 and 3 for Yard of the Season. The judging will take place in late April,
June and September
▪ Nomination and Election of Officers: President and Secretary/Treasurer – Nomination Committee Larry Allen, Debbie Haluch and Mike Owens – At this time there are no candidates. It was agreed by all that we will address at our final meeting for this year on Monday, May 13.
▪ There were no additional Committee Chair Updates
▪ Last meeting 2019 will be May 13, 2019
Program Host – All
Program Topic – Share Table. Each member is asked to bring a gardening topic to discuss and share. Examples: a unique plant (indoor or outdoor), a gardening problem you have resolved or need help in solving, landscape design, etc.
Door Prize and Refreshments – Ian McWilliam
Nomination and Installation of new officers for 2019-2021
Following the meeting, Kara and Mike provided a tour of their beautiful garden which included, a wild flower garden, fish pond, greenhouse and a wide array of butterfly attracting plants. They are avid enthusiasts of nature. Last spring, they launched over 300 Swallow Tail and Monarch butterflies. The evening continued with a delicious dinner and fellowship. Thank you, Kara and Mike for opening your home to us and hosting such a delightful evening.